Tuesday 10 July 2012


Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell to go head-to-head


Diamond League,  London (13-14 July); Crystal Palace hosts the latest Diamond League meeting which, for some, is the last competitive outing before the Olympics. Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell head the 100m line-up on Friday evening, while world champion Dai Greene goes in the 400m hurdles.
The second and third fastest men of all time will meet at Crystal Palace 23 days before a potential rematch in the Olympic final.
Gay, who has battled back from terrible injury problems, won the United States trials in 9.86sec last week, while Powell, the former world record holder, finished third behind Yohan Blake and Usain Bolt in the Jamaican trials.
They will both be looking to send out a warning to Blake and Bolt, who have run 9.75sec and 9.76sec respectively this year, ahead of the Olympics.
Gay said: "I haven't raced much this year and I'm feeling better each time out there on the track.
"My body is getting closer to where I want it to be. I've shown over the years that through all of the injuries, I'm a fighter, and I hope to be fighting for that Olympic gold in London later this summer."
Powell, 29, added: "This is a big year for me. I'm not getting any younger but there's a lot more to come from me. I've learned a lot from past major championships. I don't take anything for granted and I'm working as hard as ever. I know that I'm capable of running 9.8, 9.7, 9.6, so all that I'm focusing on is myself.
"I'm looking forward to taking on Tyson. It's good to have him back and it's going to make for a very competitive Olympic Games.
Before being done in by a groin injury, Powell had been running faster than he ever had in a major championships year and was a popular choice to finally emerge from behind the shadow of shortcoming that has cast a pall over the most consistent sprint career in the history of track and field.
There is no solace to be taken from 76 sub-10-second 100m races when you are rendered the second-fastest spectator on the planet.
But rather than sulk or question the fates, Powell looked in the mirror and came to a stark realization; one he hopes will finally propel him to greatness at the Olympics in London.
“Over the years I have been kind of lazy, thinking my talent alone can do it,” Powell said in a stark admission. “This year, I am trying something new. This year I am not missing training. I am trying to attend every training session and do all of my workouts.”
Since 2008, when his world record and reign over the men’s sprints were emphatically usurped by fellow Jamaican Usain Bolt , Powell has spent more time injured than he has challenging his friend and rival. The two have raced just twice in the last two years, and over the last three-plus seasons, Powell has been slowed by ankle, toe, hamstring, back and groin issues.
He said that he believed that litany of injuries was caused by over-training, which led him to ease up his workout regimen.
“I tried to push myself to the limit and got injuries so I kind of backed off a bit and said to myself, ‘Maybe the harder I train the more injuries I’ll get,’” Powell said. “I tried that and it didn’t work.”
So Powell has resumed full-bore training, only now he has employed a new doctor on his support team who will travel with him to meets as well. He has also resumed competing during the indoor season, something he has not done in eight years.
“Asafa has come in with a new attitude, quite honestly, the best attitude we have ever seen him train with," Powell’s manager Paul Doyle told The Associated Press. "He is getting to bed earlier than he has in the past. He is not partying anymore, nothing like that. He has a new outlook. Most of his career, he worked hard - don't get me wrong - but he didn't do anything and everything he needs to do.”
Powell said part of that was brought on by the realization that he isn’t getting any younger.
“My age is running about as fast as I am,” he said. “From Day 1 I wasn’t planning to run until I am very old. I am almost 30 so I am approaching this one as if it will be my last Olympic Games. I want to put out 110 percent to make sure that I am up at the top.”
If Powell proved anything in 2011 it was that he still belongs in the conversation of the world’s best sprinters – his 9.78 in Lausanne was the second-fastest time in the world on the season.
He openly acknowledges that he has fallen behind Bolt and young Yohan Blake , another Jamaican who won the 100m world title in Daegu, in the consciousness of most observers, but his perceived standing with fans and pundits does not concern him.
“It doesn’t bother me,” Powell said. “Maybe I am too laid back. I don’t really listen to people or let what they say affect me. When someone new comes on, everyone gravitates toward them. I know what I can do. I still have my fans and I am still working hard. People will always say this and that, but it’s what you do on the day that counts.”
While that has not been Powell’s strong suit, he is determined to change that in 2012.
“In life, if you give up very easily then you are not a champion,” he said. “I want to be remembered as one of the greatest sprinters who has ever touched the track. I want to be a great champion and I am working toward it. I’m not going to give up.”
"Hopefully the world will be able to see the four fastest men ever going head-to-head in the 100m final in August in London, what a race that would be."

No comments:

Post a Comment