Wednesday 4 July 2012

Clash Of The Fastest Injured Sprinters


The Aviva Diamond League clash of the injured will take place in London on July 13 where Asaf Powell will go up against Tyson Gay. Powell who hobbled off the track after finishing third in last week's Olympic Trials, will go up against a resurgent Gay, who came back from hip surgery to finish second to Justin Gatlin in the American trials.


According to the Jamaica Observer Both men indicated that they are contented with their health and promised the London fans a treat.


"I'm looking forward to coming back to Crystal Palace for the Aviva London Grand Prix. I felt great two years ago and hope to feel the same this year. I haven’t raced much this year and I'm feeling better each time out there on the track. My body is getting closer to where I want it to be. I’ve shown over the years that through all of the injuries, I'm a fighter, and I hope to be fighting for that Olympic gold in London later this summer," Gay said.
Powell, has equalled his world record of 9.77 in Gateshead in 2006 and is looking to repeat that good form next week Friday. "I've got some good memories from the London Diamond League event. I want to pick up where I started here and come away with a good, fast win. This is a big year for me. I'm not getting any younger but there’s a lot more to come from me. I've learned a lot from past major championships. I don't take anything for granted and I’m working as hard as ever. I know that I'm capable of running 9.8, 9.7, 9.6, so all that I'm focusing on is myself," Powell said.


Included in the field are Jamaicans Nesta Carter and Lerone Clarke along with the evergreen Kim Collins of St Kitts.

No comments:

Post a Comment